The March 13, 2019 webinar offered by CMS provided a description of the new direct payment features available through the Medicare Secondary Payer Recovery Portal (MSPRP) as of April 1, 2019. CMS will be releasing presentation slides within five (5) to seven (7) days and will also be releasing the audio recording thereafter. Some of the features of this direct payment option include the following:
- Direct payments for conditional payments can only be made for claims in the demand status.
- Parties can submit partial payment, but interest will continue to accrue on the remaining balance.
- Forms of payment are limited to: checking or savings account, debit card, or PayPal account.
- Amount of payment is limited to $10,000 for PayPal accounts, $24,999 for a debit card and $999,999,999 for savings and checking accounts.
- Payments made from checking and savings accounts or a debit card will be processed through PA.Gov which is run by the Department of Treasury, while PayPal payments will run through the PayPal system and will be subject to PayPal’s privacy and security rules.
- The date of payment for CMS purposes will be the date the electronic payment was made.
- The parties are not precluded from mailing payments to CMS and utilizing this function is not mandatory.
NuQuest will provide updates on the additional materials to be posted by CMS when they become available. Should you have any questions regarding the above, please do not hesitate to contact the NuQuest Settlement Consultant Team.