SMART Act – It’s the Law!
Bill 1845, also known as the SMART Act, has been signed into law by the President January 10! Passed by the House on December 19, and the Senate on December 21, this long-awaited reform bill strengthens Medicare and ensures that taxpayers are reimbursed for healthcare for which Medicare is not the primary payer. The bill puts into law the following much-needed changes:
- Process for obtaining a demand prior to a settlement, judgment, award, or other payment in certain claims.
- Establish a statute of limitations.
- Remove the requirement to report the beneficiary’s SSN or HICN.
- Establish right of appeal.
- Open discussion on Section 111 reporting penalties.
- Establish annual minimum thresholds for Section 111 reporting.