Section 111 Reporting Overview
Section 111 provides Medicare with all the data needed to enforce compliance not only with Section 111 but also with the Medicare Secondary Payer (MSP) statute — a law requiring that Medicare not pay for medical treatment when another primary payer is available. Section 111 reporting is an addition to existing MSP requirements.
Benefits to Section 111 Reporting
- Added reporting rules, but did not eliminate any previously existing Medicare Secondary Payer (MSP) statutory provisions or regulations
- Did not change existing processes for MSP recovery and self-reporting other insurance to CMS
- Includes what must be reported
- Specifies the form and manner of reporting
- Includes penalties for noncompliance